this is one of those posts i thought i'd get to forever ago and then didn't.
but yes. i turned (half) of my closet into a desk.
the idea came to me when i was on tumblr and saw a post on how to spruce up a small living space. i was all, hey--i live in a house with 4 other people and could use some suggestions. before that i'd lived in condos/dorms that required me to be diligent with the space i did have. so when i saw people turning closets into desks i thought of my own room. i could totally do that.
so i texted my boyfriend, who is handy with these things.
i was surprised at how cheap and easy it was to do. in a nutshell, here's what we did:
1. measure the length and width of the area where the desk will fit.
2. go to home depot and find the cheapest wood possible
3. ask someone to cut that wood into your measured space
4. buy the hinge thingies that will hold it up. they'll look like this:
5. buy cheap spray paint (color of your choice) and a top coat, and complete that part of the project outside
6. once it's dry, install your desk (or nicely ask your boyfriend to install it for you)
7. voila! your new desk space.
here's a before and after:
(and because that was way back in January, obviously by the date on my board, i'll give you some updated pictures below!)
clean desk with nothing on it so you can see the finished wood
here's what it typically looks like (when i don't throw all my clothes on it lolol)
my thumb drives and, of course, nail polish
looove candles :)
annnnd here's a shot where you can really see how small my room is. the other half is my actual closet and i use the hall closet for all my coats and jackets, so it worked out pretty nice!
do you have any cool space saver suggestions? have you made your own closet desk before? i found that it kind of opened up my little room more!